Welcome to a Healthy Core

Living life healthily from the inside out in every realm of life. 
 

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kumquats: The Clown Prince of Citrus



Taking a break on the top ten list for today, Here's a guest blog by my mom, Margaret and her favorite healthy treat. 

What are kumquats?  A very tiny citrus fruit that packs an incredible wallop.  The skins are sweet as can be, and their pulp is as sour – more sour – than your average lemon. 

I had seen kumquats at the market, and I had read about them in books.  I remember reading a short story called “The Kumquat Summer”; and I’m embarrassed to say I never realized the allegory or that the kumquat’s very essence is an amazing metaphor.  Though it is more sour/sweet than bitter/sweet.

I finally tried them when I went to a wine tasting with my friend Susan at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art last spring (spring is definitely the Kumquat Season).  The wines were nice and the hors d’oeuvres  tasty, but the hit of the evening for Susan and me, and I think for others, were the kumquats. 

I like to eat my kumquats whole (they are after all about the size of an olive) but they can be sliced lengthwise (rather elegant, the museum did this) or into rounds – some of them have little seeds, which can be removed beforehand if you slice them.  They are also wonderful in sweet preserves and chutney, great candied (if you are not watching your sugar) and versatile in fish, salads, and other dishes.  For fabulous recipes check out Susan Russo on NPR, here is her URL:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18828304; or check back here when I report on my Flounder .with Kumquat Citrus Butter (Susan Russo’s recipe, but she uses Tilapia.)

Botanists disagree on whether or not kumquats are actually members of the citrus family; some think they should be classified in their own genus, fortunella.  Whatever, they are healthy, low calorie, full of Vitamin C; and yes, addictive.  I’m going to be in trouble when Kumquat season is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment